WSA Coasteering Guide Training Course
This is an industry leading 4 day coasteering course that provides the safety and rescue aspects of guiding and how the associated risks can be controlled as well as equipping you with essential guiding skills such as group management techniques, safety talks, and much more. See below for course content.
What you will learn
- Risks and hazards in the coasteering environment.
- Safety equipment
- Defensive swimming, defensive roll, identifying safe exits, using throw lines
- Communication techniques
- Scenario training – Foot entrapment, fall on rock, conscious and unconscious casualty
- Spinal management, spinal tows
- Normal operating procedures for commercial coasteering
- Environmental awareness and minimising impact
- Route choice and grading
- Guiding skills, jumping, climbing and swimming
- Casivac procedures and emergency action plan
Pre – Requisite – Min 2 day 1st Aid certificate, personal coasteering experience in at least two different venues, confident water ability
- Coasteering Guide Course- £380 (includes membership and insurance)
- Duration – 4 days
- Who is this course suitable for? – Guides, assistant guides and trainee’s
Gaining our coasteering guide qualification will enable you to lead clients on coasteers and will provide you with the relevant safety and rescue knowledge to do so safely. We will equip you with the coaching and guiding skills to confidently enter the work place as you will be learning from industry experts in this field. Minimum age to attend the course is 16. Candidates will be evaluated on leading and managing a group, delivering a safety talk, rescue and towing skills and route planning. On successful completion candidates will be able to enter the workplace with good coasteering knowledge and skills and with site specific training be able to run sessions.
WSA Lead Coasteering Guide Award
This premier award is designed for coasteering guides who have solid coasteering knowledge and guiding skills. Gaining this qualification will enable an individual to risk assess, plan routes and lead sessions at ANY regional venue without having to undertake site specific training.
- Duration – 2 days
- Who is this course suitable for – Experienced lead guides
- Cost – £150 plus membership & insurance
Pre – requisite – Min 2 day 1st Aid certificate, at least 6 months (180 days) lead guiding at 2 different regional locations ie north wales, cornwall, scotland, south coast.
What will you be assessed on?
A formal assessment by the use of scenario training, actual guiding and a written exam will take place in order to consolidate and quantify knowledge and ability level with particular emphasis on WSA coasteering safety and rescue skills