If you hold a SLSGB Surf Lifeguard or SLSGB Surf Coach Safety and Rescue award and your certificate expires in the next six months, then it’s important to book onto a refresher course as soon as possible to update your qualification and continue practising. It’s also a great opportunity to refresh your skills and knowledge from your original training. Here’s an overview of how to get started on your lifesaving requalification.
Which requalification do I need to take?
We offer a 1 day proficiency course – you just need to enrol on either the surf lifeguard proficiency or the surf coach safety and rescue one. Both courses run on the same day. If you hold a qualification from another provider, such as the RLSS, you will need to take a full-length SLSGB qualification.
Who is the qualification for?
Our lifesaving courses are designed for certified surf lifeguards and coaches whose qualification is due to expire soon.
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Able to swim 400 metres in under 7:30 minutes (first 200 meters under 3:30) along with a 200-metre beach run in under 40 seconds (SLSGB Surf Lifeguard proficiency course)
- Able to swim 200m in under 5 mins, run 200 metres in under one minute and confident in the surf environment (Surf Coach Safety and Rescue proficiency course)
- Hold certificates that are either still in date or has expired within the last three months. Candidates who do not meet this requirement will have to take the full SLSGB Surf Lifeguard or Surf Coach Safety and Rescue
How long will it take?
Both courses take one day.
What topics do the courses cover?
- Board rescue of a conscious/unconscious casualty
- Tube rescue of a conscious/unconscious casualty (Surf Lifeguard proficiency course only)
- Casualty after care
- CPR/choking adult, children, infants
- 400m timed pool swim for Surf Lifeguard refresher and 200m for Surf Coach Safety and Rescue refresher course
- Online Myagi learning assessments must be completed prior to attending
How is the course assessed?
Certificates are awarded following a practical assessment and open response workbook. The certificate is valid for 12 months.
How long is the qualification valid for?
Both re-qualifications are valid for 24 months from the date candidates take their assessment.
What’s included in the course fee?
Both courses cost £125. The fee includes the cost of the exam assessment and certificate. Candidates will also need to organise SLSGB membership separately before taking the course. Your membership number MUST be provided to your course trainer before the course start date.
Why take the course at Water Skills Academy?
Qualify with the best water sports instructors in the industry. Benefit from their knowledge and experience as leading practitioners to ensure up-to-date and best surf lifeguarding practice. Why choose the Water Skills Academy?
*Prices in October 2019